The top 10 reasons you are too busy to pray today:
1. You wake up feeling rested, then realize your alarm should’ve gone off an hour ago.
2. Your spouse is away on a two-day business trip that’s lasted all week.
3. None of the clean clothes you were able to find match.
4. Your teenager shaved…the left half of his head.
5. Your bills are due, and your toddler hid the checkbook.
6. A strange fluid is dripping from your car.
7. You accidentally delete your quarterly report ten minutes before a meeting with your boss.
8. You’re in charge of games for the church youth night tonight.
9. Your dog is throwing up.
10. Your toilet’s overflowing, but at least you found the checkbook.
Ten reasons you really should pray today: (See list above.)
“The Top Ten Reasons You Are Too Busy to Pray Today,” Marriage Partnership (1996)
Psalm 2:8 ESV says, “Ask of me, and I will make the nations your inheritance, the ends of the earth your possession.”
How much time do we really spend praying for the people we want to reach? Do we pray for our neighbors? Do we pray for the store clerk we see every week? Do we pray for the people at the gas station? How about our extended family? What about our co-workers?
Two quotes from a Christian Classic: Steps to Christ
“Prayer is the opening of the heart to God as to a friend. Not that it is necessary in order to make known to God what we are, but in order to enable us to receive Him. Prayer does not bring God down to us, but brings us up to Him.” (pg. 93)
“Why should the sons and daughters of God be reluctant to pray, when prayer is the key in the hand of faith to unlock heaven’s storehouse, where are treasured [BEGIN P.95] the boundless resources of Omnipotence?” (pg. 94-95)
So? Who’s missing from your life? Got prayer?