Leadership is different than being bossy. Bossy is when a person simply takes charge and begins commanding others after themselves whether they have been given the right to do so, earned the right to do so, or is respected in a way that allows them to be in charge. Leadership on the other hand is something that is earned and respected.
How do you teach leadership to a bossy child. I will tell you that it’s not by telling them, “Stop being so bossy!” Rather, leadership is taught by giving principles that s/he can do and teaching her/him how to take charge of the situations s/he finds themselves in.
Some of those principles I’ve been trying to teach are:
- You can’t lead by yelling
- You can’t hit people and expect them to keep following
- Take charge of the things you’ve been given charge over
- learn to be an encourager, not a complainer
- Let go of the little things others do
- Take a look at the big picture and point the direction there
So now the question is…. Did she learn how to be bossy from me? And am I rethinking my own leadership issues at church and at home?